The UCG Board is responsible for;
The voting membership of the Board shall consist of
• The officers of the church,
• The chairs and facilitators of the standing committees and networks (a chair or facilitator may designate a committee or network member to attend a board meeting or meetings and vote)
• Representatives of any active task groups, and
• At least one, but no more than three members at large.
The pastor and any other full-time ministerial staff shall be ex-officio, non-voting members of the Board. All members of the Board shall be active members/associate members of the church. Board members, including the Moderator, are elected for a one-year term and may be re-elected typically for a maximum of three consecutive one-year terms. Mid-term vacancies on the Board shall be filled for the unexpired term of the retiring member by recommendations from the Nominating Task Group and approval by the Board.
The Board shall attend to the spiritual life of the church and be responsible for its temporal affairs. Attentive to the leading of God’s Spirit, members of the Board shall work with the pastor in developing and implementing the various ministries of the church, and by majority vote shall appoint the members of various standing committees/networks after considering the recommendations of the Nominating Committee. Temporally, the Board shall have the authority to act for the church between congregation business meetings on all matters except the call/dismissal of a pastor, the purchase/sale of real property, or loans on real estate.
The Board shall
• Receive and hold for the use of the church all real estate, real and personal, which at any time becomes the property of the church;
• Keep the properties in repair;
• Exercise supervision over all matters relating to the operation and maintenance of the church property, including the placing of adequate insurance coverage against fire, casualty, liability, etc.; and
• Authorize the payments of all expenses incurred for the carrying out of the general work of the church within the budget.
Any proposed expenditures in excess of $5,000, or expenses for items not already authorized by the budget, shall require the approval of the members of the congregation.
The Board shall meet monthly to hear reports from standing committees/networks and the pastor, and to discuss other matters of concern. A quorum of a majority of the Board membership is required to conduct any business that requires a vote.
The Board shall report to the membership at each Annual Meeting on the effectiveness of the church’s ministries, the status of its finances, the goals for ministry in the coming year and the projected budget to support those goals